Sunday, September 6, 2009

Time to Can Fruit and Veggies!





Grandma and Papa came up yesterday to can pears and tomatoes! Pears were dropping at the farm, and tomatoes were turning in my garden faster than we could use them, so we planned a canning day! Papa helped peal, Brent hopped in to help cut, and Grandma and I did the canning parts! We did 21 quarts of pears and 11 pints of tomatoes...doesn't sound like much for all the work we put in, but it was well worth it! The girls LOVE canned pears, and those should last a while! Plus, when Papa picks pears, he PICKS pears...we had 4 full crates leftover in the garage that we didn't get to do because they were too green. I saved one big crate to can pear-sauce for baby Raegan's baby food, and I will make some into ice-cube tray baby food as well! I am TOTALLY in the nesting phase of pregnacy by the way...I've already made all of the carrots from my garden into baby food, and a lot of the zucchini has been cubed up for baby Raegan! Thank goodness for the vacuum sealer...the cubes will stay good and fresh until she begins eating solids! So, as soon as all those pears ripen, I will be on to pear baby food. I am steaming some yellow zucchini (from Nicola's dad...thanks Patten!) right at this moment, and the timer just dinged, which means I need to go put it in the blender then pour into the trays! Call me crazy!

0 comments: